Holistic Asana & Anatomy Certification
Next Training (2017)
February 11, 12
Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
This course provides an overview of the therapeutic relationship, healing application of asana, assists, anatomy and kinesiology to accommodate clients with common muscular skeletal imbalances. Students will learn how to administer and interpret three primary assessment tools for the physical body: I) Postural Screening; II) Joint Range of Motion; III) Strength, Balance and Breathing.
Students will learn the components of a health screening and the relevance of their findings to the overall treatment planning. Treatment planning, including selection of appropriate, safe and effective asanas to improve flexibility, strength and therapeutic alignment will be introduced and practiced.
The importance of tailoring the treatment plan to the individual’s needs, current level of ability, health history and personal goals will be emphasized. Application of modifications, and hands on assists to accommodate the needs of each specific condition will be introduced, reviewed and practiced in class.
Core Competencies addressed in this module include:
- Introduction to the Scope of Practice of Therapeutic Yoga
- Review of human anatomy and physiology, including all major systems of the body and their interrelations, as relevant to the work of therapeutic yoga.
- Familiarity with common medical terminology
- Biomechanics and movement, including flexibility, alignment, range of motion and basic kinesiology
- The integration of the body, breath, mind, intellect and emotions in health and well-being
- Common pathologies and disorders of the muscular skeletal systems
- Assessment of the presenting conditions using the tools relevant to a therapeutic yoga Professional
- Mental, Emotional and Spiritual connections to the physical body as a lens of somatic Yoga investigation
- Determining which aspects of the client’s conditions and goals might be addressed throgh asana practice
- Therapeutic modifications and progression that address common conditions post rehabilitation as well as prevention
- Applying the 5-Kosha model to Asana
- The Purusha Method: 5 Element assists
- Application of basic knowledge of kinesiology, range of motion and safe limits of flexibility to assessment and treatment planning and delivery
- Selection of appropriate, safe and effective asanas to improve flexibility, strength and therapeutic alignment